C is a powerful general-purpose programming language. It is used to develop different types of software like operating systems, databases, compilers, and so on. C programming is a perfect language to learn a program for beginners.
The C programming language was originally developed by Dennis Ritchie at Bell Laboratories of USA in 1972. It was initially designed to run on a UNIX operating system.
Brief introduction of C language
- General Purpose Language: C programming is used to develop different software such as operating system, database, embedded system, and so on.
- Procedural Language: Instructions written in a C program are compiled (or executed) step by step.
- Portable: The C program can be moved from one platform (operating system) to another and it runs without any or minimum changes.
- Speed: C programming is faster than most of the programming languages like Java, Python, etc.
Why Learn C Programming?
- C language helps you to understand basic keywords, program architecture, and logic building for the program.
- After learning C language, it will become easier to learn and understand other advance languages like Java, Php, Python, etc.
- Chances to work on open source projects. The open-source projects such as Linux kernel, SQLite database, Python interpreter, etc. are written in C programming.
Features of C Language
Every language has its own special and unique features that differentiate it from other languages. The C programming language offers several features that make it demanding in IT sector.
- Structured Language
- Existence of Libraries
- Case Sensitive
C programs can be written on one platform and can be run (executed) on another platform with (minimal) or without change.
C programming language splits the program into small block of code called structure block. Each code block is responsible for unique task. This structured block may be decision block, repetitive block, functions.
C programming is called as simple because the syntax style is easy to understand. Program are well structured.
Since the C language is compiler based, its compilation and execution time is fast then other programming language like Java or Python.
It is widely used language in the development of operating system and embedded systems.
Existence of Libraries
C language is a rich set of built-in library functions. Even the user-defined function can be added into it. It also offers user to develop its own functions to for solving the problems.
C programming is a case sensitive language. It treats the lowercase and uppercase different. For example: if we declare a variable 'x' of int type and another variable 'X' of int type, then both variables are different.
It offers a dynamic memory allocation (DMA) that helps to utilized and manages memory allocation at run time. Using DMA, the size of data structure can be changed at runtime using predefined function malloc(),calloc(), free() and realloc().
There are several applications of C language allready developed. Even, you can create your own C applications. Some of the popular C applications are mentioned below:
- Operating System
- Compiler Design
- Embedded System
- Gaming Applications
- Mozilla Firefox
- New Programming Platforms
Creating Hello World Example
Let's create first program of C language "hello world" program: